Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 6: Vina, Lunch, Beach, Pablo's House

The days are starting to get lighter and lighter. After today, we are down to 2 more company visits and only one more lecture. We got an extra hour of sleep tonight and I took full advantage of it. I probably slept for 6 hours instead of 5. I am starting to get used to most of the Chilean customs. I have popularized once with some of the other plus three students. Two of my friends are packing bread everyday now in order to have their small meal at around five pm. This custom is something I will probably bring back since I am always hungry between lunch and dinner. I could just picture a little sandwich to eat in between. Stray dogs on the streets seem to be normal for me as of now. Most importantly though I am starting to understand more of the language and sometimes even help translate for some of my friends. The company visit today was with Vina Indomica, a vineyard in the Casablanca region. The tour was short but sweet. We saw the production process and the aging process. The tour concluded with a wine tasting with instructions on how to properly asses a wine. This was probably my favorite visit so far. We then hopped on the bus for an hour long ride to isla negra for lunch and a tour of one of Pablo Nueradas house. The lunch had a beautiful view! It was a typical lunch for Chile considering it took around two hours from start to finish. Our tour was not assigned until 4 pm so we had a little over an hour of time to kill. We walked to the beach that the restaurant overlooked. It was truly beautiful, I walked all over the rocks and tried to keep climbing and ended up falling shin deep into water. Worth it though, it was a great experience. The tour we then went to was completely in Spanish! I had two strong Spanish speakers in my group so they helped me out for some words that I didn’t know, but I am still surprised at how much I knew considering I haven’t taken a language class since my junior year of high school. I am now on the bus back to our hotel where I plan to get empanadas, groceries, and rest up. Once again, the Chilean students will be taking us out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment