Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 4: Lecture, LAN, Salsa

Yesterday I was very, very busy. I ended up waking up at seven-fifteen and did not go to bed until a little bit after four am. I was up for close to 24 hours! The day started with my standard breakfast bread and I also grabbed some bread for an on-bus once meal, which is a small meal that is common for Chileans to eat around five PM. It is normally a piece of bread with cheese or meat to hold someone over until dinner. After taking the crazy city bus to the university, we had a lecture on the culture of Chile. I am pretty sure that the bus driver accelerates during turns just to scare the customers. I enjoyed this lecture more than the first and it was very interactive. The lecture ended and we grabbed lunch in the cafeteria with all of the students from the university. I still haven’t had a conversation with a random student, but that is something that I would like to try in the next couple of days or so. We then bussed to LAN airlines and I changed into the steel-toed boots. The person who gave the tour is an engineer that maintains the planes when they come into the hangar for inspection. He was very knowledgeable and brought up some good points. Basically, if you want to work internationally anywhere in Latin America it is a necessity to be bilingual. This has got me thinking that learning a completely new language is something that will probably be very beneficial. Salsa was next on the list and this was the intermediate level of the class. There was a lot of stepping on other peoples feet. Salsa is something that I have enjoyed so far and I am looking forward to using my new found skills at a club. To finish the day we went to a pub. I am still not used to being of age to do almost anything. I have not even been asked for my ID once. We got a lot of funny looks from the natives, but it was fun to hangout with the rest of my Plus3 students as well as students from USM.

No comments:

Post a Comment