Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 2: Our first look at the University

Today was a good day. It started off at 7:30 am with a traditional Chilean breakfast. I had a hard bread circle with jam and it was surprisingly good. After realizing that lunch does not start until after 1 pm I am going to have to eat way more than one piece of bread to hold me over. We started our actual day with a tour of the university of 6,000 students or as I am getting used to 6.000 students. The period and comma our switched in pretty much every country but the United States. The tour was a nice one and I definitely noticed some difference between the two countries. The Chilean university, or as they call it the U or Uni, is completely closed in by a fence just like most other Chilean buildings that I’ve seen in Vina Del Mar. The university was very nice! After we had our tour we had our lunch with the students. This was an experience that was different from most lunches I have had before. It was so packed and I was forced to sit with only one friend to sit next to many students native to the university. Conversations in Spanish were all around us and I felt like my friend and I were out of place. It was fun however, there was a couple that were French kissing next to us and this was seen as normal to the population of Chile. We then had our first salsa class. This was great and awkward at the same time. This started with a solo portion and then the couples portion felt much more natural to me. It was very fun, but I am still sure that I am not a very good dancer. For the first time, I went to a bar where I was able to drink which is completely different from anything that I have done before. Karaoke was very fun and this was a good time to meet some of the other Chilean students. There is a video of some of us singing the Backstreet Boys, but I do not have the courage to post that up here. Sorry! Another good day in Chile and I am looking forward to a tour of Santiago tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment